a lil' bit of everythin'

Wednesday, May 17, 2006


Yeah. I know excessive intake of caffeine is bad for health. But I know that millions of people from around the world will agree with me when I say this, its simply impossible to function without at least a morning cup of coffee. There are tea addicts too across the globe. For them a morning cuppa is essential for proper functioning of the system. So basically there are three categories of people in the world. The first group are the coffee drinkers, the second group are the tea people and the third group are those who have not yet succumbed to the magical powers of these morning energizers. The membership in the third group is kind of temporary. Most people end up joining the tea or coffee clubs sometime or the other. And then there are the lifelong members who are so conscious of their health that they never dare to trudge into unchartered territories.

Right now I am more of a coffee person. I have to have a cup of espresso every morning and evening to freshen me up. In fact, its only after the second sip of strong black coffee that I am fully awake and alert. And I need another dose to refresh and rejuvenate me in the evenings.

Its not that I don’t like tea. In fact, till a few months ago I used to be an avid tea drinker. I love tea. But then, functionally coffee’s definitely better. But tea still remains my novelty drink. Sometimes in the tranquil hours of dusk, I like sitting in my terrace with a steaming cup of ginger and cardamom tea and enjoy the cool breeze that brushes against my cheeks. So well, tea still remains a favourite, but just for special occasions.

This reminds me of my seventeenth birthday party. It wasn’t really a party to begin with. We had all decided to go out for dinner, me, dad, mom, bro and cousin sis. So while we were still struggling to choose between Grain Of Salt and Peter Cat, my dad suggested this dhaba several miles from the city. It was a fun plan and we all agreed. The car sped through the national highway, traversing 52 kilometres in just half an hour. Me, my bro and my sis gyrated to the top forty tracks that were being aired on the fm channels.

And then we reached the place. It was called Azad Hind Dhaba. We opted to sit outside though it was a chilly winter night. And that night we toasted on ginger and cardamom tea. And man, it tasted fabulous. I’ve never tasted tea that good ever.


So anyway. As I was saying I am more of a coffee person. And yeah, if I am to go by taste, then tea beats espresso any day, but well, like I keep saying over and over again, I need black coffee to function.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home